Tina Made an F(ing) Door Hanger

[Note: This is a scheduled post while I’m away in Korea!]

When I first moved into my apartment, my front door didn’t have a letter on or near it indicating which unit it was (CRUCIAL FOR PIZZA DELIVERIES, ya feelin’ me?). So I slapped on a wooden letter F (for unit F, dummies) from Joann’s as a temporary fix. It happened to be white. My door also happens to be white. Well… almost. It’s an ugly trying-real-hard-to-be-white-but-not-quite white. Wait. Am I describing a door right now or a person? I just really confused myself. Moving on.

“Temporary” somehow turned into “permanent,” so for the last few years, whenever I saw the half-camouflaged letter F as I keyed into my apartment, it seemed to scream F-ing Fix this ish already.

Alrite alrite. So demanding you are, ugly door.

       Processed with VSCOcam

All I did was wrap the wooden letter with jute twine and add a few felt flowers + ribbon. Because as convenient it would be to buy one from Etsy, do you THINK my unemployed semi-employed ass (more on that later) could afford to pay $38?!  I already had all the materials I needed so it was pretty much free… okay not really, but whatever. Winning. If you are fortunate enough to live somewhere that does not require you to have a unit number, then you can make the same project, choosing the first letter of your last name or something. Shrug. I’m giving you options, people.

MATERIALS (from Joann’s) with estimated costs, because I was too damn lazy to look up actual prices, and I’m feeling real crotchety right now:

  • wooden letter (or use cardboard letter): ~$1.00-2.00
  • jute twine: ~$3.00 for a roll/spool
  • tacky glue: ~$2.00 for a bottle
  • felt: ~$0.25/sheet
  • ribbon: ~$4.00/roll, depending on size/material
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors

TIP: Use 40-50% off coupons that Joann’s FREQUENTLY offers (per mobile app, emails, mailers) for each item.

Processed with VSCOcam  Processed with VSCOcam

Well. Here’s the original wooden letter. It’s about 5″ in height. Gluing down one end of twine, I wrapped VERTICALLY around the entire letter first, gluing as I went. It gets pretty messy but the glue will dry clear, and you can cut off any crazy fibers of the twine after it dries. I obvi couldn’t wrap the whole thing with a continuous piece due to the way the letter was shaped, but if you’re Lucky and live in apt. unit L or your last name is L (or any other ‘easy’ letter), then congratulations. This project will be even easier for you.

Processed with VSCOcam  Processed with VSCOcam

After I vertically wrapped, I horizontally wrapped over the entire thing. This involves a lot less glue because twine on twine is enough of an ‘adhesive’ to keep it all in place. While I let the whole thing dry, I cut several circles from some scraps of felt I had, and made a few rosettes. I used this tutorial. Each rosette takes about 1 minute to make. You don’t absolutely need a glue gun (you can hand sew the flower or use tacky glue) but it makes things a lot easier. I’m all about things that are easy… minus people. Definitely not people.

Processed with VSCOcam  Processed with VSCOcam

After I made the rosettes, I hot-glued them to the top of the letter. Rosette placement will depend on what your letter looks like. Up to you. Also, I don’t have a picture of this step, but I tied a bow with grosgrain ribbon and hot-glued the two ends to the back of the F.

Processed with VSCOcam  Processed with VSCOcam

Finally, I used a hook meant for hanging picture frames and hammered it into my door. After I hung the letter, I secured the F to my door using some double-sided tape so it won’t budge when the door opens and closes. Above-right picture shows the final product on my door.

If I were to do this project again (read: If I were to move into an equally crappy apt where my generous manager did not include a unit letter/number as part of my apt, which hopefully will never happen, because I would like to move up in life at some point), then I’d probably use a ribbon with more contrast to my door (again, with the half-camouflage– but I just used something I already had). Otherwise, I’m satisfied with how this turned out, especially considering I didn’t have to buy any new materials.

That’s all for today, folks. Peace (the F) out.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Tina Made an F(ing) Door Hanger

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s