Exactly one year ago today, I packed up my personal belongings and walked away from my OT job of four years. I was excited, anxious, scared. I had no new job to walk towards. I left without looking back.
I gave myself one year to explore my creative passions, and this past year has been filled to the brim with a multitude of different gigs. I hustled my ass off, let go of a salary and my pride, was an assistant, a lowly intern. It was a busy, stretching, fun, and crazy year where I pursued anything and everything I wanted to. Here’s a recap of all the new things I did:
- August 2013: Farewell, employment at PUSD
- September 2013: Started working (very part-time) at a pediatric OT clinic (easiest source of income)
- October 2013: Travelled with two dear friends to Korea for 2 weeks. My first time there in 6 years!
- November 2013: Started freelancing as an assistant coordinator for Love & Splendor (event planning and design firm). My first event with them was a high-profile wedding for an Asian celebrity couple!
- December 2013 – March 2014: Interned with Jessica of Bramble Workshop, who makes hand-crafted art installations, event decor, and store displays. The most memorable project was making a ridiculous number of paper flowers for Ella Moss’ spring look-book and their store window displays.
- January – February 2014: Worked for Everly Clothing to coordinate their exhibit at WWDMAGIC (fashion tradeshow) in Las Vegas. Did everything from interviewing and hiring sales associates to planning out how many electrical outlets we needed in their custom-designed booth. Spent an exhausting week in Vegas and learned tons about the fast-fashion world. Post about my experience at MAGIC here!
- February 2014 – March 2014: Through my internship with Bramble Workshop, I got to help out with some DIYs/photo-shoots for designlovefest— assisted with photo styling but also got to do some hand-modeling. Ha! Here, here, here, and here!
- March 2014: Started freelancing for Zoie Events as an assistant coordinator.
- March 2014 – June 2014: Interned for Joy Cho of Oh Joy!, my blogger-idol and dream employer. Still can’t believe that happened! Did a ton of DIY projects and photo-shoots for her book project (being published next spring).
- May 2014: Started freelancing for White Blossom Events as an assistant coordinator.
- Currently: Working on a project with a friend to do some event design/planning on the side. Website coming soon!
In between, I did tons of DIYs for fun (and blogged about them), took a calligraphy class with Jenna Rainey of Mon Voir, assisted with set design for an Ingrid & Isabel photo shoot, enrolled in a Photoshop class (though I ended up being too busy to attend more than 2 classes… oops), tried my hand at floral design with Bunch Studio for a wedding, and planned/designed baby showers/ bridal showers for friends.
What a year.
I’m so thankful that I had the means to leave a full-time salary for a year and stay afloat, and family and friends who encouraged my choices and supported me along the way. So what’s next? I’m not sure (but what’s new). I’m actually looking into different practice areas of OT (outside of pediatrics), but who knows? After this year, I’m pretty creatively drained, and have really taken a step back from the creative world (even personal projects) to focus on my professional career again. I think I just need to find a good balance instead of swinging from one extreme to another.
Anyway, as always, thanks for reading, and for following along on my crazy adventure this past year. 🙂